Either you want to know how to create your own blog website for free or how to create a blog or how to start a blog, you are on the right page.
How to create your own blog website for free
In one of our recent discussions, we have discussed the reasons why you should become a blogger. In that article, we looked into what really a blog is and what a blogger does.
If you have been following the discussions on this blog up till now, you will discover that we also discussed how to make money blogging and best hosting websites alongside with how and where to buy domain names.
Knowing already that you need your domain and host before you can think of creating a website or blog. I will implore you to register a domain and host it as well. After this you can now proceed to create a blog.
There are different types of blogging platforms available on the internet. Some provides free domain names for a start and bill you when you want to upgrade while others do not. WordPress for example, is of two types which are WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
WordPress.com provides free domain names for blogs as an add-on to its domain and enables you as a user to upgrade to a private domain name at a special price while WordPress.org only allows you to create and manage blogs with a private domain name whether registered by them or not.
Although there are many platforms to create and manage a blog which includes WordPress, Blogger, Wix, among others. But for the purpose of this tutorial, we shall only be working with WordPress.
Why WordPress to create a blog or start a blog
WordPress has been reported to be the most popular open source Content Management System (CMS), being in use by approximately 75 million websites throughout the world. The reasons why people have chosen WordPress throughout the world are highlighted below.
- It is the most popular CMS in the world.
- It offers Open Source and free usage for its platform and resources.
- WordPress can be easily customized.
- It is designed for everyone and not just developers.
- WordPress can be used to design any kind of website and for any purpose.
- It is free to use.
Now that you have known why we are considering WordPress in this article, then we need to proceed to things needed to create a blog and then to how to create your own blog website for free.
Things needed to create a blog
- cPanel (You will be required to login into your cPanel with your details from your host).
- A hosted registered domain.
How to create a blog / How to start a blog
- To create a blog, login to your cPanel. This can be done from your dashboard on your registrars’ website.
- Ensure your registered domain has been successfully hosted on your account. To host a domain, you only need to point the nameservers to your host. If you do not know how to go about this, kindly contact your host provider to do it for you.
- After this, if you have registered the domain with an associated host, proceed to the next step. But if you are hosting your new domain on an existing host, then you need to add it as an add-on domain to your cPanel.
- After this step, locate the blog builder also called softaculous or any other name as given by your registrar and clip on it.
- Select WordPress and input the URL of the domain you registered for the blog.
- Enter the information for the blog correctly including an admin name and password for the administrator login.
- After this, click on create. This initiate the creating of your blog and should be done in less than 2 minutes. Your blog has been created with a default theme and might needs to be changed. You will be provided with the admin login link where you have to put your login details to access the backend of the blog.
Now that you blog is live, I am sure you want to know what the next line of action is. I will be discussing that in our upcoming discussions.
Thanks for reading our post on How to create your own blog website for free. If you find this content helpful, don’t forget to share with friends!